Creating an energy-efficient home helps reduce your carbon footprint and saves you money on utility bills.
A home can be inefficient in terms of energy usage in several ways. If your energy bills are high, it may be due to more than a spike in energy costs. Your appliances, insulation, lighting, and other factors could contribute to a lack of energy efficiency.
At Gateway Home Services, our home handyman services can help reduce energy costs by making your home more efficient. We can assist you with various projects to improve your home’s efficiency.
Home Project Ideas
Here are some practical projects we can help you undertake to improve energy efficiency and create a more sustainable living environment.
- Seal Air Leaks: One of the most cost-effective ways to improve energy efficiency is by sealing air leaks in your home. Our handyman will start by inspecting doors, windows, and areas where different materials meet (such as baseboards or attic hatches). They may use weatherstripping, caulk, or expanding foam to seal gaps or cracks, preventing drafts and heat loss.
- Upgrade to LED Lighting: We can replace traditional incandescent bulbs with energy-efficient LED lights throughout your home. LED bulbs use significantly less energy, have a longer lifespan, and produce less heat. Consider having dimmer switches installed to reduce energy consumption further and create ambiance.
- Install Programmable Thermostats: Invest in programmable thermostats or smart thermostats that allow you to set different temperature schedules for various times of the day. By optimizing heating and cooling based on your daily routines, you can save energy when you’re away from home or asleep.
- Insulate Your Home: Proper insulation is crucial for maintaining a comfortable indoor temperature and reducing energy waste. Insulate your attic, walls, and basement using fiberglass, cellulose, or spray foam insulation. This will help prevent heat transfer and reduce the workload on your heating and cooling systems.
- Upgrade Appliances and Electronics: Old appliances and electronics are often energy hogs. Consider upgrading to energy-efficient models that carry the ENERGY STAR® label. Look for refrigerators, dishwashers, washing machines, and televisions that consume less power without compromising functionality.
- Install Low-Flow Fixtures: Reduce water consumption by installing low-flow showerheads, faucets, and toilets. These fixtures are designed to maintain water pressure while using less water, helping you save on your water bill and the energy required for water heating.
- Utilize Natural Lighting: Make the most of natural light to reduce the need for artificial lighting during the day. Keep curtains and blinds open to allow sunlight in. Consider installing skylights or light tubes in dark areas of your home to brighten them up naturally.
At Gateway Home Services, our home repair technicians can help you transform your home into more energy efficient by making these types of updates. Call us today to schedule a free estimate.