We can handle all types of minor electrical work, including fans, light switches, outlet replacement, dimmer installation, and more. Request a quote today, and get the help you need from a pro.
If you have a few simple jobs around your home that involve electricity – like replacing lights, changing light switches, or adding a ceiling fan – you may be tempted to go the DIY route and handle the job yourself to save some money instead of hiring an experienced provider of St. Louis handyman services. But most of the time, this is not a good idea!
1. You Could Give Yourself A Painful – Or Deadly – Shock
One of the most obvious dangers of DIY electrical work is the risk of shock. Common 110v wall outlets are rarely deadly but can give you a painful or nasty shock. And some appliances, like dryers and ovens, use a 240v outlet – and that current can be deadly.
You can reduce your risks by using the right tools and techniques and turning off the power to the outlets you’re working on, but making a mistake could still be dangerous.
2. DIY Electrical Work Can Cause Fire Hazards
When there are so many electrical components to work with, figuring out a tough wiring issue is hard. And even a single misplaced wire could dramatically raise your risk of a home electrical fire. And unlike a shock, which is immediately obvious, faulty wiring may not show any signs of an issue for months – but could cause a fire due to a short or another issue.
3. Your DIY Work May Not Pass Inspection In the Future
If you handle a DIY job on your own, your work may not meet local code requirements for electrical safety and other such regulations.
So when it’s time to sell your home, you may find that you have an issue meeting required inspection criteria – so you may need to pay to have the job redone or to reduce the selling price of your property so that the buyer can handle the repair.
4. You May Not Know the Safety Precautions You Need To Take
If you’re not an electrician, you won’t know how to use the right components and keep yourself safe. GFIs (ground fault interrupters) are a great example of this. This component is built into a switch or outlet.
If it detects a faulty connection, a built-in sensor will interrupt the circuit, preventing a shock. These are often used in bathrooms and other areas where moisture may be present. But if you install a standard outlet in one of these areas instead, you could be exposing yourself and your family to danger.
5. It May Cost You More Time & Money In the Long Run
It’s easy to get in over your head when handling a DIY electrical project. Things seem simple at first – but then you get stumped by a wiring issue, have problems getting your appliance to work, or run into another issue that stops you in your tracks.
You’ll have to call a pro – and not only will they need to be paid to handle the job, but they will also need to remove the incorrect wiring and faulty electrical equipment before they can troubleshoot the problem that the job will be even more expensive. You can save by hiring a pro to get things done right the first time.
Turn To A Pro – Hire Us For St. Louis Handyman Repair Services
Gateway Home Services provides expert electrical handyman repair services in St. Louis. We can handle all types of minor electrical work, including fans, light switches, outlet replacement, dimmer installation, and more. Request a quote today, and get the help you need from a pro.
[…] electrical issues in your home, you must call a professional handyman to fix the problem. Electrical work is dangerous and should only be done by someone with the proper training and experience. A handyman […]